At the end of the Tokugawa period, it became the base of "Shougi-Tai"
Jodo Shinshu Higashi Honganji school’s main temple. The official name is “Jodo Shinshu Higashi Honganjiha Honzan Higashi Honganji”. In 1651(Keian 4), Higashi Honganji 12th Kyounyo building Edo Onbou Kouzuiji in Kanda as a start, then, Relocated to Asakusa after great fire of Meireki. After the Taiseihokan, it is also the foothold of the “Shougitai”, which was formed in order to protect Tokugawa Yoshinobu who was keeping himself in Ueno Kaneiji. Moreover, it is also drawn in Katsushika Hokusai’s “Fugaku Sanjurokkei”.
Principle image of Buddha/ statue of Amithaba is an important cultural property of Tokyo
1-5-5 Nishi Asakusa, Taito city